Sunday, January 31, 2010

Markets and Elvis

Today I had my first free day…

While mostly everyone has had just about 4 or 5 free days since we started this was my first, so instead of staying in and doing homework or just hanging around the Moshav I decided to go into the New City. Nothing new, just fun and a time to get off the Moshav again, even though I was just in Jerusalem yesterday. It was exciting though, getting to take the bus, try to use some Hebrew and not having to haggle for once, as the markets in the New City have set prices, a luxury not really prevalent in the Old City.

I went into the New City with my friends Rachel, Lydia, and Sandy, and the plan was to go to a coffee shop and do some homework.


From left to right: Rachel, Lydia, and Sandy waiting at the bus stop


That plan totally failed, but it was still fun. We just walked through some markets and tried to find lunch, which we ended up getting Pomegranate, some pastries, and pita. I also finally got the Fanta I’ve been craving all week AND it was European style Fanta, which is more juice than soda (yes!). It was all very yum, yum. Most of the time was spent walking and just exploring and we ended up going back early because we didn’t figure in the time to walk, so we never did get to the Aroma coffee shop that we so desperately wanted to settle at. Next time I go into the New City though it will just be to go to a coffee shop and hang out, I promise you that. It was pretty sweet though, as a handful of Israeli people came up to us at the bus stop and started asking about the bus schedule to us in Hebrew. We took that as a compliment as that might mean that we don’t look like tourists, which is the look we exactly want. We did get to go to the Elvis Café right in Abu Gosh and get some hot chocolate and the ever so coveted Elvis mugs that we’ve been wanting to use for class (getting the price for coffee/hot chocolate down to half a shekel, rather than one shekel). The Elvis Café is definitely saweet, so I’ll be back there again. Right now calls for a nap though and I guess people are going camping today, although I’m not feeling it so probably won’t go. It’s all good though. Time to try dreaming in some Hebrew. Until later.


The market in the New City


With Lydia and Sandy at the Market in the New City


Waiting at the Bus Stop in Jerusalem


Rachel and Lydia with their Elvis Mugs in the Elvis Café


Me with my Elvis Mug at the Elvis Café in Abu Ghosh

1 comment: